get academic advice

advice(su) can advise you about issues relating to your studies at UEA, such as changing courses, moving to another university and interrupting your studies, and can guide you through the university’s appeals, complaints and disciplinary procedures.

ucu strike action

advice (su) have put together a guide to what you need to know  if you are concerned about the impact of  recent strike action on your  studies: download it here

Read on for help with:


advice(su) resources

appealing against an academic result

If you are unhappy with the confirmed mark for any assessed work there is a university appeals procedure to challenge your result.  See our downloadable information guide for more information about your options and the university’s procedure.

Appeal forms can be found on the student forms page of the portal, together with UEA's guidance on how to complete the form.


how to make an academic appeal from Jonathan Murray

Thinking about asking for a re-mark?

If you are not happy with a mark you have received advice|su can offer you help and guidance and explain your options. These include:

  • A re-mark; or
  • an academic appeal
  • an academic complaint

The main reason for asking for a re-mark is that you think there is something wrong with the marking process which has affected your mark. Following a remark, your mark may stay the same, go up, or be reduced.

You cannot appeal a mark unless you can show there is some underlying problem which has affected it – for example that you had extenuating circumstances which affected your performance and have not been considered, or that the teaching you received was inadequate. For more information about appealing, see the section above

You can ask the university to look at problems with the marking process by making an academic complaint, but a complaint cannot change your mark.

What work can be re-marked?

  • Re-marking is only available for work which has not been double marked. If work has been double marked, you may be able to appeal if you have a good reason for an academic appeal
  • You cannot ask for an exam or an OSCE or OSPE to be re-marked, even if it has been moderated rather than double marked.
  • Before you ask for a re-mark, you must ask to see the marker to discuss for the reasons for the mark.

When can you ask for a re-mark?

You must make the request within 10 working days of publication of the mark on eVision. If you think that the mark has been incorrectly recorded on e:Vision, raise this with the Hub so that this can be checked.

If you have grounds for an appeal but instead request a re-mark and are given one, a later appeal could be rejected.

How to request a re-mark

Once you have decided that a re-mark is your best option, you should complete form LTS005 and hand it to the Hub.

On the form, you will need to show that one or more of the following reasons applies, and produce evidence that:

  • the mark is not consistent with the feedback given
  • feedback suggests that part of your submission has not been considered
  • the assessement criteria have not been appropriately applied

You will also have to show  that you have spoken to the marker about the reason for the mark or get them to sign the form. If you have discussed the point by email, you can use copies of the emails to prove this. If the marker does not respond to requests for a meeting, come and talk to us at advice|su.

The evidence needed might include:

  • a statement from you quoting the feedback showing that it appears that the marker has failed to mark part of your work, (for example,  the feedback says that you did not mention a point that you have covered in your work); or
  • a copy of the feedback and a statement from you explaining why it does not address points in your work, giving examples; or
  • evidence showing why the marking does not meet the assessment criteria  given for the work This could be a statment from you  giving examples of where the marking does not reflect the published asessment ciriteria. 

When your work has been remarked, if there is a difference between the original mark and the second mark, the Director of Learning and Teaching for your School will adjudicate and award a mark. Remember, this could be lower than your original mark.

Extenuating Circumstances

If your ability to study, complete coursework or exam performance is negatively affected by external factors outside your control this is known as an “extenuating circumstance”.  As a UEA student, if your performance is, or is likely to be affected by extenuating circumstances, you have the right  to ask for those to be taken into account  when your work is being assessed. It is essential to let the University know as soon as you can about any issues so that they can be taken into account when decisions are made about matters such as time extensions, academic results or progression. 

Your EC report is more likely to be accepted if you :

  • give enough detail about the circumstances and how they have had an effect on your study
  • provide appropriate supporting evidence
  • make sure they fit within the EC guidelines followed by the UEA. You can see these here

ECs must be reported online via E:vision by students on undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes.  UEA guidance for using the reporting system is available at 

Research students should check the appropriate process with the PGR office.

Here some important features to note about the online form:

  1. The  boxes where you complete details of the circumstances and the impact on you have a 200 character limit. In many cases this will not be enough space for you to explain your ECs in enough detail. In that case,  type in "Please see email" and  include a full explanation in an  email to the Hub
  2. If you are asking for more than one thing (for example - a time extension and consideration  of your circumstances by the end of year board), you  must submit seperate reports for each.
  3. If you are  requesting a second extension or an extension of more than 5 days, or using the form for anything other than an extension, you will have to submit evidence by email to the Hub. Make sure you list your evidence on the form and email it to the Hub as soon as possible.

If you are unsure about  how much detail you need to give or what evidence you need to provide, come and see us. You can also download our info guide here

You can check deadlines for submitting ECs for your course using the tool on this page:

During April and May we run workshops to help with reporting ECs in the run-up to the exam period. Experienced advisers  explain everything you need to do and how to put your evidence together, plus answer any questions you have




Making an Academic Complaint

If you think you’re been think you’ve been treated unfairly on your course or if you’re unhappy with the University’s academic facilities such as the library and IT resources there is a procedure that allows you to complain. Download this leaflet to find out about  that procedure and how to use it.

Interruption (Undergraduate and taught programmes only )

If you need to take an extended break from your studies because of health, personal or other problems, you can apply to interrupt your studies. This advice (su) information guide explains

  • when you might need to consider interruption
  • factors to consider before deciding to interrupt
  • how to apply to interrupt your studies
  • your rights during interruption


Tips on writing an effective supporting statement

If you are appealing a decision, reporting extenuating circumstances, or making a complaint, you will need to provide a supporting statement as evidence. Here are some tips on how to write a good one.

Plagiarism and Collusion

See our information guide  for an explanation of what Plagiarism and Collusion means,  what happens if you are accused of Plagiarism and/or Collusion, the possible outcomes and what you can do if you disagree with a decision. If you are called to a meeting to discuss plagiarism,  come in to talk to an Advice Worker about what to expect and how to prepare.

Exam help

Exams can be a stressful time, but the Advice Centre has practical advice to help you through and support if things aren't going to plan. See our handy tips here

When you sit an exam or a course test, you are subject to University regulations covering conduct in exams, and it is important that you know what these are, because breaches of these regulations can have serious consequences for you.

The Advice Centre has put together this information sheet which:

  • summarises the main rules applying to UEA students; and

  • explains what will happen if a rule is broken by a student, including the possible penalties.

It also explains what you can do if events outside your control which affect your performance happen just before or during a test or exam.

Exam feedback 

Exam feedback  is available to all students other than finalists and those doing a Foundation year. Schools must provide generic feedback, and may provide more. Make sure you take advantage of this opportunity. It could make all the difference to next year's results!

You can request access to your exam script by requesting  access at your Hub. You will need to give  at least 48 hour's notice and you will only be permitted to review the script with a member of LTS staff present.

You can aslo ask for a meeting with your module organiser to  go through your script.

For more information on getting exam feedback  see The UEA makes it clear that while there may be annotations  on the script this is part of the marking  process and  is not a form of feedback.

Fitness to Practise

If you are on a course which leads to a professional qualification such as nursing, you will be expected to meet the standards of professional conduct expected of you by the professional body which validates the course you are on. In the case of nursing and midwifery, this is the NMC. If you study on an OT, PT, SLT, ODP or Paramedic course, the professional body that governs your practise is the HCPC.

If there are concerns that you may not be meeting these standards, your school will follow a process, called “Fitness to Practise” (“FTP”), to decide whether there is any evidence of:

  •  professional misconduct, or
  •  behaviour inconsistent with suitability for your profession

If you have long term or serious health problems (either physical or mental), this may also have an impact on your fitness to practise and trigger the process.

For more information about this process and the the possible outcomes, read this guide

Jury Service

While you are a student at UEA, you may be called for jury service. To find out more about what's involved, and what you can do if taking time off for jury service could cause you problems with  attendance on your course or with asessments, read our handy information sheet.

 Other Links and Advice

Conduct of Examinations & Course Tests Paragraph 17 (2)

Exam arrangments:

UEA Calendar - Electronic version of the University’s regulations, policies and procedures.

UEA Learning Enhancement Service - the Learning Enhancement Service is part of UEA Student Support Services and offers expert guidance on important academic skills that will enable all students to make the most of their course at UEA.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) - the body responsible for resolving complaints from students in higher education once UEA's own procedures have been exhausted.