study well faqs

Below you can find the answers to our most frequently asked academic issues questions. If you can't find the answer to your question either below or on our dedicated study well pages, do get in contact with us and we'd be more than happy to help.

Can I get a re-mark?

If a piece of course work has not been double marked, you can ask for a remark within 10 days of getting your mark if you can show that:

  • the mark is not consistent with the feedback given; or
  • feedback suggests that part of your submission has not been considered: or
  • the assessment criteria have not been appropriately applied

You must see the marker to discuss the mark before applying – they will need to sign your form.  For more info see our dedicated re-mark page here.

I missed an exam – what should I do?

Complete an Extenuating Circumstances report as soon as possible and within 2 working days at the latest. For help about how to do that, and advice on the evidence you may need, see our dedicated extenuating circumstance page here.

I’ve been called to a plagiarism meeting – help!

advice(su) can help with advice and support on how to prepare for the meeting and can accompany you to the meeting, provided we have an adviser available on that day. Call in to see us and ask to see an advice worker, and make sure that you let us know the time and date of the meeting as soon as you know. For more info, see our dedicated plagiarism and collusion page here.

How can I get a time extension?

Every year you can have two self-certified time extensions of 3 days without having to supply supporting evidence. You apply by making an Extenuating Circumstances report before the deadline for handing in the work. Although you don’t need to provide supporting evidence, you still need to give a valid explanation for needing extra time.  For longer extensions, or if you have used both self-certificated extensions you use the same request process but need to provide supporting evidence. For more info, see our dedicated extenuating circumstance page here.

I think I need to appeal a mark? How do I do that?

There are several valid reasons to appeal a mark, including if you have reported extenuating circumstances which have not been taken into account, you have not received learning support to which you are entitled, if changes have been made to your course which you have not been told about or that the teaching you have received was inadequate. For more info, see our dedicated academic appeals page here.

How do I change my adviser?

Simply go to your usual LTS Hub and ask. You don’t have to give a reason. If you are having trouble contacting your adviser, you can contact the Senior Adviser for your school. If you just don’t know who your adviser is, check your e-Vision record and introduce yourself.

I’m not happy with how my course is being run – what can I do?

A good first step is to talk to your course rep or convenor. They can raise your concern with the UEA and it’s helpful for them to know what concerns students have. If it’s having an impact on your ability to complete assignments or to study, talk to your personal adviser or to the module organiser or course director. If these informal ways off tackling this issue don't work, you can make a formal academic complaint. For more info, see our dedicated academic complaints page here.

How do I book an appointment with you?

The best way to book an appointment is via our online contact form here.