coronavirus guidance

Coronavirus Guidance Update 15/01/2021


The wellbeing of our members, staff, visitors, suppliers, and artists is our highest priority across all of our operations, please note:

  • The Waterfront is temporarily closed.
  • The LCR, Unio, Blue and Red Bars are temporarily closed..
  • The shop and post office are open (8am - 5pm Monday to Friday, and 10am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday). Please remember to bring your mask and follow the social distancing guidelines as indicated on the premises.
  • Advice(su) is open. The best way to get hold of us is via the student contact form and we will get back to you

Please note the SU is encouraging cashless payments and are observing physical spacing, as per the recommended distance markers on the floor in the shop and bar.


We will continue to monitor the situation and update you via the website and our social channels. We encourage all staff and students to download the NHS Test and Trace App and participate in the secure, anonymous contact tracing system.


For information about how best to protect yourself please see the NHS guidance.


UEA is now delivering teaching online. For the most up-to-date information you can visit the general FAQ pages of the University’s website, or for academic queries the UG & PG Student FAQ pages.


UEA Residences


What to do if you are self-isolating:

If you are currently self-isolating you sholudcomplete the Covid-19 Self-Isolation Form if you have: tested positive, notified to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, have developed symptoms or Covid-19.

Students who notify the University that they are self-isolating will be contacted by the Student Services Covid Support Team, to discuss any specific circumstances of support required during their self-isolation. Follow-up contact can also be arranged for during and after the self-isolation period.

The Covid Support Team can also be contacted at [email protected]




1: I’m really worried about my finances - what options are available?

The university has hardship funds available to support students. For further details of the university's available hardship funds, please visit their finance page here. If you are worried and would like to talk to someone you can contact Student Services at [email protected] or call 01603 592761.


2: I'm an international student. How does this affect my visa?

If you have any concerns about your visa or immigration status, please contact the International Student Advisory Team ([email protected]). For up-to-date guidance from the Home Office and UK Visas and Immigration, please see their website.


3: Who can I talk to at any time of day or night?

  • The Residential Life Managers and Student Services Residents continue to be available to you at this time. Further information and a link to their contact details can be found here
  • An overview of all the services available, including a number of online resources, can be found here
  • UEA all students access to a 24/7 programme to help you deal with personal and professional issues that could be affecting your studies, home or work life, health and general wellbeing  – their 24/7 helpline number is 0800 030 5182 and more information about this service can be found here
  • Advice(su) can be contacted via the student contact form


4: I'm privately renting accommodation. Where can I find advice about my housing rights and rent payments amid the coronavirus situation?

We know you'll have a lot of questions about privately rented accommodation, so please see our dedicated guide on our Live Well page.


5: Should I continue to allow contractors to visit my rented property to complete repairs and maintenance?
The government’s ‘further businesses and premises to close’ guidance states that work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms.
It is important to ensure that Public Health England guidelines, including maintaining a 2 metre distance from any household occupants, are followed to ensure everyone’s safety.
No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs, and where the tradesperson is willing to do so. In such cases, Public Health England can provide advice to tradespeople and households.
No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild.