Staff Data Privacy Statement
Last Revised: 15th August 2018
how your information will be used
1. As your employer, the Students’ Union needs to keep and process information about you for normal employment purposes. The information we hold about you and the processing of it will be for our management and administrative use only. We will keep and use it to enable us to run the business and manage our relationship with you effectively, lawfully and appropriately, during the recruitment process, whilst you are working for us, at the time when your employment ends and after you have left. This includes using information to enable us to comply with your employment contract, to comply with any legal requirements, pursue the legitimate interests of the Union and protect our legal position in the event of legal proceedings. If you do not provide this data, we may be unable in some circumstances to comply with our obligations and we will tell you about the implications of that decision.
2. The Union may sometimes need to process your data to pursue legitimate business interests, for example, to prevent fraud, for administrative purposes or reporting potential crimes. The nature of our legitimate interests are for the performance of your contract of employment. We will never process your data where these interests are overridden by your own interests.
3. Much of the information we hold will have been provided by you, but some may come from other internal sources, such as your manager, or in some cases, external sources, such as referees.
4. The sort of information we hold includes your application and references, your contract of employment and any amendments to it; correspondence with or about you, for example:
• letters to you about a pay rise
• at your request, a letter to your mortgage company confirming your salary
• information needed for payroll, benefits and expenses purposes
• contact and emergency contact details
• records of holiday, sickness and other absence
• information needed for equal opportunities monitoring
• records relating to your career history, such as training records, appraisals, other performance measures and, where appropriate, disciplinary and grievance records.
5. You will be referred to in many Union documents and records that are produced by you and your colleagues in the course of carrying out your duties and the business of the Union. You should refer to the Data Protection & Information Security Policy and Procedure and the Data Protection Guidance document for more detail, both of which are available on relevant HR systems.
6. Where necessary, we may keep information relating to your health, which could include reasons for absence and GP reports and notes. This information will be used in order to comply with our health and safety and occupational health obligations – to consider how your health affects your ability to do your job and whether any adjustments to your job might be appropriate. We will also need this data to administer and manage statutory and Union sick pay and pensions.
7. Where we process special categories of data relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious and philosophical beliefs, trade company membership, biometric data or sexual orientation, we may obtain your explicit consent to those activities unless:
• we have another legitimate basis on which to process this data
• this is not required by law
• the information is required to protect your health in an emergency.
Where we are processing data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
8. If you provide data which is anonymous (for example, equal opportunities monitoring), we will not use if for your employment purposes.
9. In addition, we reserve the right to monitor computer and telephone/mobile telephone use, as detailed in the Surveillance Policy, available on the relevant HR system. We may also keep records of your hours of work for payroll purposes.
10. Other than as mentioned below, we will only disclose information about you to third parties if we are legally obliged to do so or where we need to comply with our contractual duties to you, for instance, we may need to pass on certain information to our external legal advisors, our HR advisor, Occupation Health consultant or the pension scheme provider.
11. We may transfer information about you to other companies under the umbrella of the Students’ Union for purposes connected with your employment or the management of the Union’s business.
12. In limited and necessary circumstances, your information may be transferred outside of the EEA or to an international organisation to comply with our legal or contractual requirements. We have in place safeguards to ensure the security of your data, details of which can be obtained from the Senior Management Team.
13. We do not use automated decision making (eg profiling).
14. Your personal data will be stored for the period specified in the Retention Schedule.
15. If in the future we intend to process your personal data for a purpose other than that for which it was collected we will provide you with information on that purpose and any other relevant information.
16. Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and The Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) you have a number of rights with regard to your personal data. You have the right to request from us access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, the right to restrict processing, object to processing as well as in certain circumstances the right to data portability.
17. If you have provided consent for the processing of your data you have the right (in certain circumstances) to withdraw that consent at any time which will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent was withdrawn.
18. You have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Commissioners’ Office if you believe that we have not complied with the requirements of the GDPR or DPA 18 with regard to your personal data.
19. If you have any concerns as to how your data is processed please contact a member of the Senior Management Team.