welfare & support

Every student and apprentice in FMH will have an issue with their welfare at some point in their time at UEA. Browse this page to familiarise yourself with the support on offer, and never hesitate to reach out when you need it.

Jump to: General Support | Welfare | Financial | Academic | Housing

general support


advice(su) is run by the students union independently from UEA, providing you with any support you need to improve your experience as a student or apprentice. The support offered by advice(su) includes:

You can get in touch with the Advice Team here, with options for online appointments and email currently available. Drop-in appointments will be available when Union House is fully reopened.


welfare support

Student Services

Student Services provide the wellbeing services that UEA has to offer. These can range from individual or group sessions with therapists, to guidance and support for students with physical and mental health conditions to help students continue their studies, as well as support for keeping on top of university life. The FMH Embedded Wellbeing Team is a part of Student Services, and can help with all aspects of student life and wellbeing within both HSC and MED.

To access the resources offered by Student Services or to find their referral form, visit their website here. You can also call them on 01603 592761. To get in touch with the FMH Embedded Wellbeing Team, either email them on  [email protected] or find the details of their virtual drop-in sessions on Blackboard.

Student Services are also offering confidential Students' Groups to explore the experiences of working in the current Covid-19 climate, which can be accessed by any FMH student or apprentice. The take place on Wednesdays, 2-3pm, online, and can be signed up for by emailing [email protected].


Norwich Nightline

Norwich Nightline offer a student-based listening service for all students and apprentices registered with UEA. This service runs from 8pm-8am, and can be accessed here. The service is currently limited due to Covid-19, but is still able to provide support to students and apprentices who need it - You can find information on changes to their service here.


Peer Support

Peer Support Groups and Cultural Societies offer student-led support, activities and social opportunities to students with similar backgrounds and experiences. The details of these can be found on the Societies page under the "Cultural" and "Peer Support Group" tabs, with further support on equality and liberation in FMH found here.


External Support

We understand that Students and Apprentices in FMH often don't come forward with personal issues because of fears it may affect your progression on the course or your Fitness to Practice. If you want to find independent support that isn't the SU, the following services can provide a range of support.

  • Shout provide immediate, confidential, text-based support for anyone in crisis, any time of the day
  • SANE provide mental health support and resources whenever you need them, from 1-2-1 support to community-based sessions
  • Samaritans provide 24/7 support at a national level, with specialist volunteers for whatever you need to talk about


financial support

UEA Funding

The Access to Learning fund is a Government fund administered by UEA for students facing financial hardship, unexpected crises or other financial issues which may affect their ability to study. You can find more information on this here, or apply by contacting Student Services.

The UEA Hardship Fund is a non-repayable grant for students who are not eligible to apply for help from the Government-funded Access to Learning Fund (e.g. EU and international students), so they can concentrate on their studies and remain in higher education. You can find more information, including the application form for the grant, here.

The Vice Chancellors Loan can provide emergency loans for students facing unexpected cash-flow problems, with loans up to £300 for non-placement, non-HSC issues and £2500 for placement-related issues in HSC. You can find more information, including the application form for the grant, here.


NHS Funding

The Learning Support Fund provides a £5000 training grant for HSC students who are eligable for student finance from any UK or devolved government, with additional funding available for student parents. The information for this can be found on the Learning Support Fund website.

The Exceptional Support Fund can provide £3000 a year for HSC students who have exhausted all other sources of funding, including those listed above, via the NHS. Find the form for the Exceptional Support Fund here.


academic support

Learning Enhancement

The Learning Enhancement Team (LET) is a branch of Student Services that provides both general and school-specific guidance to help support your academic skillset. They have experience with courses and assignments across both HSC and MED, so will be able to provide resources specific o the issue you're facing where needed. The support offered by LET includes:

  • Peer Assisted Learning (PAL)
  • Workshops and Helpdesks for maths, statistics and wider academic issues
  • Academic resources and toolkits
  • English Language Support for those with English as a second language
  • Support for Specific Learning Difficulties

You can find all the information for LET here, or you can conact the team to discuss how they can help at [email protected]


Personal Advisors

Your personal advisor can signpost you to appropriate people and resources who can help you within your School, including staff members responsible for academic support and welfare support to help you focus on your studies. The details for your personal advisor can be found on evision.


Link lecturers/Visiting tutors

Your link lecturer/visiting tutor is your main point of contact for any issues you may find on your placement, and can help make sure you are able to fulfil your placement objectives. The details for your link lecturer/visiting tutor can be found on BlackBoard



Your Hub can help deal with any administrative issues you're having with your course. This may include dealing with attendance, illness, coursework, assessment, placement allocation, or other administration relating to your study.

ZICER Hub handles all issues relating to HSC courses, as well as placements in MED - Contact them here.

EFRY Hub handles all non-placement administration for MED - Contact them here.


housing support


Homerun is provides accommodation support from the SU to make sure that housing and tenancy causes as few problems as possible throughout your time at UEA, from guidance on when to rent to support in dealing with your landlord or accommodation provider. They can also provide basic advice around accommodation whilst on placement, especially if you run into issues with your housing provider. Homerun, together with wider SU housing support, can be found here.